Nine of the world’s top 10 global software companies are located here as well as all of the top 10 ‘Born-on-the-Internet’ companies.
- Ireland has established a rich ecosystem of high-calibre, innovative, indigenous technology companies which have an impressive and growing global representation.
- International payment services have been one of the key growth segments for financial services over the last decade. Due to significant advances in technology, security, and regulatory initiatives such as the EU Payment Services Directive, the number and value of payments that are carried out electronically has risen dramatically.
- This has the resulted in the decision of major international companies such as PayPal and Chase PaymentTech to locate in Ireland. It has also seen the growth of indigenous firms such as FEXCO and Realex.
- These companies employ at least 4,000 people in Ireland, in a low-risk and labour intensive, sector of the financial services industry.
- This sector also provides one of the key potential growth areas for the financial services sector.